Today’s blog will be a quick one. “YAY!!” Say’s my besty, Draakje Dailey. Ah heck, and probably 99% of you out there. This Spring, when you are playing with colors, don’t forget your Color wheel! Ever wonder how some of your favorite fashionistas put colors together to create eye-catching and fabulously colorful outfits? Well, The color wheel is an excellent wardrobe tool!
For a positive success, it is best to make the following combos using the color wheel as your guide:
1. Colors directly next to each other (i.e. yellow and yellow-orange; yellow and lime-green; violet and blue-violet, etc.)
2. Colors that form right (90 degree) angles with each other (i.e. yellow and red-orange; blue and crimson; green and orange, etc.) *I find the crimson a bit of a misnomer as the colors are more in the purple shades, but will call it this since it’s on the color wheel that way.
3. Colors directly across from each other (i.e. yellow and violet; blue and orange; red and green, etc.)
4. Colors that form a T (i.e. blue, orange, and crimson; yellow, violet, and red-orange; green, red, and orange, etc.)
5. Colors that form an X (i.e. blue, orange, crimson, and lime green; yellow, violet, turquoise and re-orange)
Since brown is a neutral, it will go with virtually any color on the color wheel. I love to pair a chocolate brown with cobalt blue or fuchsia for a fun and bold combo. Of course white, black, and the hues of blue found in denim are also neutrals that go with just about anything.
As for all of those accessories we as fashionista’s wear? The color wheel also applies to them. Go crazy with colored hats, bags, shoes, or scarves. When choosing jewelry, pair gold (or gold-toned) jewelry with your warm colored outfits. Warm colors have a yellow, gold, or orange undertone to them. Wear silver (or silver-toned) jewelry with your cool colored outfits. Cool colors have a blue, pink, or red undertone to them. Always remember though since colors are broken down by hue, temperature, intensity, and tone any single hue can be either warm or cool. You will have to look at the undertones.
Take from? See? Color isn’t something to fear, just keep a color wheel handy and take the power into your own hands! Get out there and Color your world! I was amazed how much color I saw available when shopping for this blog yesterday! All SLURL’s should be under my “last known SLURL’s” page to the left, if not, give me a holler.
Orange and Blue Outfit:
Hairs: Boon, YNO 421
Lipstick: Lovely Mi
Glasses: Emery, Era Taxi:
Earrings: Mandala, Leather Feather
Watch: Mandala, Hokusai
Necklace: Bon Kings
Shirt: Ricielli, Summer Mini **So many colors and prints, a virtual color wheel on its own!* Taxi:
Shorts: Ricielli, Summer Mini Top *ditto*
Lime-Green and Crimson Outfit:
Hair: Boon, BNG331
Sunglasses: Emery, Leopardess
Belt: Emery, Fuschia
Top: Emery, Candy
Skirt: Emery, Running Free
Purse: Ricielli, Mesh Gia (In Easter egg)